International Peace Marathon & Half
Saturday, September 13, 2014, at 9:00 AM competitive start | Optional 8:00 AM non-competitive start
C&O Canal Towpath at
• To view and purchase your official photos, see Tony Estrada's album
• Photos by Tony Estrada Photography, www.backprint.com/tonyestradaphotography
• NEW! Video! Eden Glenn's video of the 9:00 am group | Eden is the girl with black NIKE hat
• Now we have a resolution from Boston Athletic Association, and we're IN!
• Here is an excerpt from BAA's letter:
• "Thank you for reaching out to me and providing me with the official results. I have added The Abebe Bikila Day Int'l Peace Marathon to our race directory but it might take a day or two for our registration page to refresh and for it to appear on the drop down menu for runners to select as a qualifying race. There is a fill in section if a marathon is not listed so you runners can just type in their information and we will be able to link everything together." -- Tryg Larsen, Coordinator, Registration Services & Special Projects, Boston Athletic Association
• Totally flat gravel trail, alongside scenic C&O Canal Towpath
• The half marathon is out 6.55 miles to Towpath mile 9.65 and back. The full marathon is out'n'back twice.
• Course will be USATF-certified and a qualifier for 2015 Boston Marathon
• (September 13 may be the last Saturday to qualify before registration opens)
• Water / aid / music stations at 4 junctions with Canal Road & Clara Barton Parkway -- Fletcher's Cove, Lock 5, Lock 7, and Lock 10
Bobbi Foley, Isagenix Associate (540-359-2344) | BobbiFoley83@gmail.com
• Open to anyone who can finish within 6 hours
• Limited to the first 350 entrants
• AIMS India Foundation
• American and Asian Indian Charitable Trust
• BuyaBrickFoundation TeamAfrica.com
• DC Capital Striders
• High Cloud Foundation
• Youth Ethiopian Self-Sufficiency Enhancing Re-education Association (YESSERA) | PDF
• Friday, September 12, 3:00-6:00 PM, at Georgetown Running Company, 3401 M Street NW, Washington DC | (202-337-8626)
• Saturday, September 13, 8:00-8:45 AM, on site at Fletcher's Cove, 4940 Canal Road NW, Washington DC
• Key Bridge Marriott, 1401 Lee Highway, Arlington VA
• See www.abebebikila11.com for the international commemoration of the anniversary
of Abebe Bikila's Olympic Marathon victory on September 10, 1960, in Rome, Italy, in 2:15:16.2.
• In addition to becoming a national hero for winning the gold medal, Bikila became famous for running it barefoot.
• He was the first black African to win an Olympic medal, and in 1964 in Tokyo, Japan, he became the first man ever to win two Olympic marathons.
• In memory of the 184 victims killed at the Pentagon on September 11, 2001,
and the thousands more killed that day in New York and Pennsylvania,
we ring a memorial bell 184 times at 8:45 AM before the race
• To commemorate the anniversary of Abebe Bikila's Olympic Marathon victory in Rome, Italy, on September 10, 1960,
and Ethiopian New Year's Day on September 11 each year, we host an international cultural exhibition at the start / finish
hosted by Abebe Bikila Day founder and two-time Olympic boxer Seifu Mekonnen
• Please write us if you want to be an exhibitor or vendor.
• We announce our exhibitors and vendors two weeks before the race and list them on our t-shirt and web site
• You are automatically on the team of the country or USA state where you vote, top 3 count on each team, marathon and half-marathon
• Please tell us your country or USA state of citizenship.
• Specially-cast finisher medals, prizes, raffles, and on-course support to keep you pumped up, sponsored food and beverages and much more!
• You get a whole VIP experience with your victory celebration!
• We have everything to make this a great event.
• It is more than a race; it is global event embracing many communities, children and runners at once!
• Gift certificates from Georgetown Running Company and other sponsors
for 1st, 2nd, 3rd M/F overall and in 10-year age groups 19 & under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70 & over
• We have 150 spaces at Fletcher's Cove's riverside parking area, and we want to leave some spaces for other park users.
• Once we fill all the parking at Fletcher's Cove (maybe 8:15 AM), we will direct cars to turn right on Reservoir Road towards free on-street parking, 0.3 to 0.7 miles away.
• Please take our cab or car-pool to minimize parking delays.
- We want as many participants as possible to park off-site, so that we leave some parking spaces available at Fletcher's Cove for the general public.
- Off-site parking options:
• Palisades Library, 4901 V St NW, Washington, DC 20007
• Our Lady of Victory School, 4755 Whitehaven Pkwy NW, Washington, DC 20007
• CVS/pharmacy, 4859 MacArthur Boulevard NW, Washington, DC 20007
- We now offer the Red Top Taxi ride from Key Bridge Marriott to Fletcher's Cove departing at 8:00 AM on Saturday, September 14, for only $2.00 Please register for the taxi service in advance.
- From westbound Clara Barton Parkway, the Red Top Taxi will drop you off at Canal Road and Reservoir Road.
The taxi will not enter the small parking area at Fletcher's Cove next to Canal Road.
• If you complete either race, you are entered in SHF's 2013 Grand Prix Series.
• $100 cash award to anyone who completes all three SHF marathons in 2013 - May 5, September 14, and November 17
• Complete results will be up'n'running the afternoon of the race at 2013 results
• In previous years, the race was just a half marathon.
• 2012 results
• 2011 results
• 2010 results
• 2008 results
• 2007 results
• 2006 results (October 22)
• 2006 results (July 16)
• 2009, 2008, 2007
• 2006 (July 16)
• Do you want to help at an aid station or as a volunteer? Write the race director
ABEBE BIKILA DAY INTERNATIONAL
PEACE MARATHON & HALF ENTRY FORM
Make checks payable to SHF 611 South Ivy Street, Arlington VA 22204-2429
By entering this event, I agree, warrant and covenant as follows: I know that running is a potentially hazardous activity. I should not enter or run in competitive runs unless I am medically able and properly trained. I agree to abide by any decision of a race official relative to my ability to safely complete the run. I assume all risks associated with running in this race including, but not limited to, falls, contact with other participants, the effects of weather, including high heat and/or humidity, the conditions of the road and traffic on the course, all such risks being known and appreciated by me. Having read this waiver and knowing these facts, and in consideration of your acceptance of my application, I, for myself and anyone entitled to act on my behalf, waive and release National Park Service, RRCA, USATF, High Cloud Foundation, American and Asian Indian Charitable Trust, DC Capital Striders, Safety And Health Foundation, and all sponsors, their directors, officers, employees, agents; representatives and successors from all claims or liabilities of any kind arising out of my participation in this event even though that liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons named in this waiver. I acknowledge that the application fee shall be non-refundable. I agree that you may use my name and likeness for publicity purposes.
Signature ______________________________________ (parent or guardian if under 18)
Name ___________________________________________ Gender [__] (M|F) Age as of 9/14/2013 [__ __]
Address _________________________________________ Birthday ____ ____-____ ____-____ ____ ____ ____ (mm-dd-yy)
City ST ZIP _______________________________________ Phone ____ ____ ____-____ ____ ____-____ ____ ____ ____
E-mail ___________________________________________ T-shirt _____ (XS S M L XL XXL)
Best 13.1/26.2 mi ____:__ __ Where?
Citizenship (State or County) _____________________________ You are automatically on your state's or country's co-ed team, top 3 count
Enclosed is my entry fee, payable to SHF:
[_] $60 by May 31
[_] $70 by June 30
[_] $80 by July 31
[_] $90 by August 31
[_] $100 by September 13
No race-day registration, please
|Event: [__] Marathon [__] Half Marathon|
[_] $5 Wisp [_] $10 Puff [_] $25 Breeze [_] $50 Cirrus [_] $100 Cumulus [_] $250 Nimbus [_] $500 Stratus